Skip to main content

The Art World ... No excuses

So, like most of you I want to do well in the Art World! Mostly, for myself but partly because of the people who think its impossible to do so. I get it, it's not easy, but if this is the one thing that give you a sense of purpose you have to go for it! Yesterday, I meet a older artist who gave me so many excuses to why he hadn't found any real success that I wanted to throw up once he explain the reason for his lack of success. First, there was his fantasies about how the Art World works, then there was this notion that if he just made work the business end will take care of itself. Then there was the idea that,"My work is too powerful for the masses" then in the same breath... "No one will show me, (pause) if i could just have a solo show show ..." or this one "My work is about the Black experience." Really, because no ones ever done work on the Black experience before! Ok, ok, ok, now here's the kicker,"I really don't paint that often maybe a couple of times a year."  A year! That's your creative process, painting a couple of times a year. Wow, Its so hard to get any momentum going in our practice I can't see anyone not working constantly at this. Granted, most of us have to have other jobs to sustain a moderate lifestyle but .... c'mon man!
I don't know about you but I work really hard at my practice! I read as much as I can and listen to past and present lectures from notable artists, theorist and social activists. I'm always looking at anything that can aide my practice like, looking at art periodicals for insight or calling up other artists to vent, complain, laugh or talk about any art materials i'm grappling with.
This road we're on is not for the faint of heart, so no more excuses. Check out this website a friend turned me on to.
Resources to Present, Promote, Market Your Art

http://www.artbusiness.com/artists-how-to-price-your-art-for-sale.html



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modern Art Notes Podcast

MODERN ART NOTES PODCAST   B y Tyler Green The Spelman College Museum of Art is showing "Deborah Roberts: The Evolution of Mimi" through May 19. The exhibition features work Roberts has made in the last half-decade, work that uses collage and girlhood to examine issues of race, gender, and America's present condition. It was curated by Andrea Barnwell. San Francisco's Jenkins Johnson Gallery just opened an exhibition of Roberts' work called "Uninterrupted." It's on view through March 17. Deborah Roberts was recently  included in the group exhibition "Fictions" at the Studio Museum in Harlem. Her work is in the collections of the Studio Museum, the Blanton at the University of Texas, and the Block Museum of Art at Northwestern University. The Spelman College Museum has uploaded a conversation between Barnwell and Roberts. Part one is here .  The Modern Art Notes Podcast is a weekly, hour-long interview program featuring