Skip to main content

Find a way to do your art. #Livingtheartistlife!

I can't say this enough, but as artists we must always find ways to keep our artistic practice going!  (#Livingtheartistlife!) I have a lists of excuses why I can't work in my current environment; It's too small, the lighting is bad, no real space to do work blah, blah blah!
Last week, with a little cajoling I was able to talk a local print shop in to letting me use their shop after hours for a small fee to print some large text silkscreen pieces. Well, I busted my ass to get my screens out of storage cleaned, coated, burn and film shot only to have the print shop be closed all week and NO one returning my calls... Ugh!
You know, I have been thinking about this new work for about five months now, so it was past time for me to get going. I had to get something done this week, because its perfect in my mind, but as you know, "Perfect work" doesn't always transfer to paper or canvas.

Frustrated, I said what the hell I'm gonna make this small place work even if I have to work in the bathroom tub! Seven hours later, I have four new silkscreened images with more to come. Not all of them are perfect, but two are. Take that life!


Check out this cool video--
—Arturo Herrera on collage from ART21's "Play" episode (http://a21.tv/ArturoHerreraPlay)

Schimke


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modern Art Notes Podcast

MODERN ART NOTES PODCAST   B y Tyler Green The Spelman College Museum of Art is showing "Deborah Roberts: The Evolution of Mimi" through May 19. The exhibition features work Roberts has made in the last half-decade, work that uses collage and girlhood to examine issues of race, gender, and America's present condition. It was curated by Andrea Barnwell. San Francisco's Jenkins Johnson Gallery just opened an exhibition of Roberts' work called "Uninterrupted." It's on view through March 17. Deborah Roberts was recently  included in the group exhibition "Fictions" at the Studio Museum in Harlem. Her work is in the collections of the Studio Museum, the Blanton at the University of Texas, and the Block Museum of Art at Northwestern University. The Spelman College Museum has uploaded a conversation between Barnwell and Roberts. Part one is here .  The Modern Art Notes Podcast is a weekly, hour-long interview program featuring