Skip to main content

Feeding the beast!

I really don't get to travel that much, so when I go I definitely try to absorb as much as possible. I meet as many artists and curators as I can, visit as many galleries and museums as I can afford to see. Because, it's important, as artist we need to feed the beast, the machine that fuels and generates the work we produce. Normally, after these types of trips I want to remember everything and forget nothing. It never truly last, but I can see it later in my work ... the lengthening of ideas.
Every time I write one of these blog post I am reminded of just how important it is to broaden your practice. Residences, art lectures, openings, art conversations and artists retreats are key! If you think that it's just about the physical act of creating then you are missing out on some vital components of your practice.
I met with an amazing curator while in New York who talked about how to function in the art world and not get caught up in the minutia that surrounds it, to know what's important and how not to lose your voice. To be authentic in your practice and not conform or appropriate someone else's artwork. The time I took off reenergized me and lead me to add a new layer to my work, which is great.
At the end of the day... what is meant for me will happen, if not, then maybe in another lifetime.
But for now, I'm back to work.

Check out this great speech by Carrie Mae Weems. http://www.culturetype.com/2016/05/21/carrie-mae-weems-implores-school-of-visual-arts-graduates-to-consider-how-do-you-measure-a-life/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modern Art Notes Podcast

MODERN ART NOTES PODCAST   B y Tyler Green The Spelman College Museum of Art is showing "Deborah Roberts: The Evolution of Mimi" through May 19. The exhibition features work Roberts has made in the last half-decade, work that uses collage and girlhood to examine issues of race, gender, and America's present condition. It was curated by Andrea Barnwell. San Francisco's Jenkins Johnson Gallery just opened an exhibition of Roberts' work called "Uninterrupted." It's on view through March 17. Deborah Roberts was recently  included in the group exhibition "Fictions" at the Studio Museum in Harlem. Her work is in the collections of the Studio Museum, the Blanton at the University of Texas, and the Block Museum of Art at Northwestern University. The Spelman College Museum has uploaded a conversation between Barnwell and Roberts. Part one is here .  The Modern Art Notes Podcast is a weekly, hour-long interview program featuring