Skip to main content

Is that "really" Art?

I am a artist that learns from other artists and respects all types of work, that's just how I roll! Yesterday, I had a great talk with one of my artist friends and we happen on a subject of hierarchy when it comes to what materials one uses to do their work and how that work is sometimes viewed.
 I shared my experience in Grad school when some "other" grad in my final year commented that I could push out as many collages as I wanted to in a single afternoon because... and ... he stop short and made a face. What?? He followed it by saying "He struggled with his paintings" Wait what?? and I don't! I get it. I use to spent hours on my figurative oil paintings and when my work was displayed with primitive art and artists my nose was up in the air. I soon realized that they were doing what they loved just like me. Creating visual art is hard work, irregardless of the medium, media or form you work in.
I've had people come up and tell me that performance art wasn't "real" art. Wow! really?.. is my normal response! My point is anyone out there who's taking chances, pushing boundaries and going against traditional practices-- we have to, no we must applaud them! I don't know everything about the art world and I don't want to know, but what I do know is that we must support other artists' practices.  Criticism is good, marginalization is not! This maybe a pollyanna approach, but it works for me.
So, when you hear someone bashing video, sound, performance, digital, craft, collage, etc... Speak up! Because, it takes a great amount of skill, intelligence and hard work to make something seem so flawless and simple.

Check out this site for more insights: http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-contemporary-art-real-art
Up next week: Why am I not being paid to do this?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modern Art Notes Podcast

MODERN ART NOTES PODCAST   B y Tyler Green The Spelman College Museum of Art is showing "Deborah Roberts: The Evolution of Mimi" through May 19. The exhibition features work Roberts has made in the last half-decade, work that uses collage and girlhood to examine issues of race, gender, and America's present condition. It was curated by Andrea Barnwell. San Francisco's Jenkins Johnson Gallery just opened an exhibition of Roberts' work called "Uninterrupted." It's on view through March 17. Deborah Roberts was recently  included in the group exhibition "Fictions" at the Studio Museum in Harlem. Her work is in the collections of the Studio Museum, the Blanton at the University of Texas, and the Block Museum of Art at Northwestern University. The Spelman College Museum has uploaded a conversation between Barnwell and Roberts. Part one is here .  The Modern Art Notes Podcast is a weekly, hour-long interview program featuring